Thank you for your interest in moovel! To apply, please send your resume with any additional information you would like us to know in the body of the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in applying for the remote role please identify that in the subject line of the email.
Senior Software Engineer
moovel North America is an urban mobility company helping make cities smarter. Every day we help improve the lives of local communities through accessible and delightful user experiences within our city-branded mobility applications. By partnering with cities, public transit agencies, and end users worldwide, we’re helping transform cities by providing convenient and sustainable solutions powered by our Mobility platform.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help shape the future of mobility together. We have a beautiful office space that fosters collaboration and creativity in one of the coolest buildings in downtown Portland. We have many perks of tech with an open and flexible work environment, fun extracurricular activities and a unique culture that puts people first. What we’re looking for is exceptional people who share a passion for developing creative solutions that advance our mission and vision. As moovel’s next Senior Software Engineer you’ll be responsible for delivering world-class products to transit agencies and users throughout the world. The ideal candidate believes development is a team activity and enjoys it being that way. They thrive in a fast-paced environment and are willing to fill any role to help their team be successful.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Working collaboratively in an agile cross-functional team
- Contributing to the design and development of new products and services
- Supporting existing products and services that people are using everyday
- Applying development best practices to your work
- Crafting clean code supported by automated tests
- Leaving the code base in a better state than you found it
- Improving the performance, availability and overall quality of our platform
- Building and updating http JSON API’s for mobile and single page web apps
- Contributing to front end web development when needed
- Working with Product Owner and Product Manager to understand requirements
- Estimating level of effort and story points to support planning
- Contributing to architecture and technical solution design
- Utilizing your technical expertise to help solve problems and propose solutions
- Other duties as required by the company
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- 5+ years of hands-on development experience
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Proficiency in Python, Django
- Hands-on experience with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience and expertise with source control (git)
- Familiarity with cloud/Infrastructure as a Service (AWS, Digital Ocean)
- Familiarity with cloud deployment tools (such as Convox, Heroku
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
- Familiarity with JIRA, Confluence or similar tools
- Strong understanding of RESTful principles
- Familiarity with GraphQL
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and concepts
- Experience in micro-service or service oriented architectures
- Understanding of virtualization and containers (Docker)
- Mobile development (Android or iOS) is a plus
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment
- Ability to work independently and propose solutions via pull requests and proofs of concept
- Willingness to dive deep into the existing code base and the curiosity to learn through experimentation
- Ability to be productive with a multiple languages, frameworks and paradigms
- Willingness and capacity to learn new frameworks and languages quickly
- Positive attitude
Who We Are:
moovel North America
Headquartered in Portland, OR, moovel NA offers competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and disability benefits at no cost to employees. We also offer a generous holiday schedule with four weeks of PTO annually. Our compensation program includes a 3% retirement contribution, and competitive base salaries.In addition to the more traditional benefits, we offer a cell phone allowance, a welcoming environment for dogs of all sizes and many other perks. You will also have the opportunity to work with a diverse team in our Portland office as well as with our parent company, Strategic Mapping, Inc., based in Toronto, Canada.
Our office is centrally located in the heart of Old Town, bike friendly, and within walking distance to a multitude of restaurants, bars, and shops. The Portland Streetcar and TriMet offer easy-to-use transit services connecting the downtown Portland district to the Pearl District and greater Downtown Portland.
moovel provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, moovel complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Strategic Mapping Inc.
Strategic Mapping is a privately owned company and a complete end–to–end provider of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS). Strategic Mapping offers hardware design, software application and system integration services to many of North America’s leading transit agencies.
Strategic Mapping was founded in 2006, with locations in both the United States and Canada. With 14 years of expertise in the transit space, they are dedicated to providing innovative, scalable, user friendly and cost effective technologies for agencies of all sizes. Their advanced Smart Bus applications are designed to streamline day-to-day operations by providing transit agencies with tools to better manage their fleet while simultaneously enhancing trip planning, accessibility and the passenger experience.